Thursday, April 06, 2006

Jo Rowling's Top Ten Great Books









ROWLING'S TOP 10
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Roald Dahl
Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Animal Farm, George Orwell
The Tale of Two Bad Mice, Beatrix Potter
The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
Hamlet, William Shakespeare

The Gospel According to Lucius Malfoy

"Remember, comrades, your resolution must never falter. No argument must lead you astray. Never listen when they tell you that Man and the animals have a common interest, that the prosperity of the one is the prosperity of the others. It is all lies. Man serves the interests of no creature except himself. And among us animals let there be perfect unity, perfect comradeship in the struggle. All men are enemies. All animals are comrades.
Chapter 1, Animal Farm

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS."
Chapter 10, Animal Farm

"The vote was taken at once, and it was agreed by an overwhelming majority that rats were comrades. There were only four dissentients, the three dogs and the cat, who was afterwards discovered to have voted on both sides."
Chapter 1, Animal Farm

The Gospel According to Umbridge

"The case against Clevinger was open and shut. The only thing missing was something to charge him with."
Chapter 8, Catch 22

"With a little ingenuity and vision, he had made it all but impossible for anyone in the squadron to talk to him, which was just fine with everyone, he noticed, since no one wanted to talk to him anyway."
Chapter 9, Catch 22

"You know, that might be the answer - to act boastfully about something we ought to be ashamed of. That's a trick that never seems to fail."
Chapter 13, Catch 22

"You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!"
Chapter 27, Catch 22

"Morale was deteriorating and it was all Yossarian's fault. The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them."
Chapter 39, Catch 22

The Gospel According to Harry

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera."
Catcher in the Rye

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff- I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."
Chapter 22, Catcher in the Rye (Hermione warned Harry about his "saving people" thing)

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody!."
Chapter 26, Catcher in the Rye (after his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore's death, one wonders if Harry is in this place now)

"Then she really started to cry, and the next thing I knew, I was kissing her all over..."
Chapter 11, Catcher in the Rye (sounds like Harry and Cho!)

The Gospel According to Hermione

"…If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other?"
To Kill A Mockingbird

"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Chapter 11, To Kill A Mockingbird

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
Chapter 23, To Kill A Mockingbird

"When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em."
Chapter 9, To Kill A Mockingbird

The Gospel According to Snape, perhaps?

"Why do you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort. You deserve this. You have killed yourself. Yes, you may kiss me, and cry, and wring out my kisses and tears; they’ll blight you - they'll damn you. You loved me--then what right had you to leave me? What right--answer me--for the poor fancy you felt for Linton? Because misery, and degradation and death, and nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us, you, of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart--you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."
Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights

"You said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul! "
Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights

"My old enemies have not beaten me; now would be the precise time to revenge myself on their representatives—I could do it, and none could hinder me. But where is the use? I don’t care for striking, I can’t take the trouble to raise my hand."
Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights

The Gospel According to Dumbledore

"I hope that real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world."
David Copperfield

"It's in vain, Trot, to recall the past, unless it works some influence upon the present."
David Copperfield

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."
David Copperfield

"I don't profess to be profound; but I do lay claim to common sense."
David Copperfield

"It was a long and gloomy night that gathered on me, haunted by the ghosts of many hopes, of many dear remembrances, many errors, many unavailing sorrows and regrets."
David Copperfield

"How does the world go? I'll tell you what," he added, in a lower tone, "I shouldn't wish it to be mentioned, but it's a -" here he beckoned to me, and put his lips close to my ear - "it's a mad world. Mad as Bedlam, boy!" said Mr. Dick, taking snuff from a round box on the table, and laughing heartily.
David Copperfield

"I find my breath gets short, but it seldom gets longer as a man gets older. I take it as it comes, and make the most of it. "
David Copperfield

"Oh!" said my aunt, "I was not aware at first to whom I had the pleasure of objecting."
David Copperfield

"We have all some experience of a feeling, that comes over us occasionally, of what we are saying and doing having been said and done before, in a remote time - of our having been surrounded, dim ages ago, by the same faces, objects, and circumstances - of our knowing perfectly what will be said next, as if we suddenly remembered it!"
David Copperfield

The Gospel According to Sirius

And then it started like a guilty thing
Upon a fearful summons.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 1.

For this relief much thanks: ’t is bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 1.

Whether in sea or fire, in earth or air,
The extravagant and erring spirit hies
To his confine.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 1.

The head is not more native to the heart.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 2.

A little more than kin, and less than kind.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 2.

All that lives must die,
Passing through nature to eternity.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 2.

That it should come to this!
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 2.

He was a man, take him for all in all,
I shall not look upon his like again.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 2.

When the blood burns, how prodigal the soul
Lends the tongue vows.
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 3.

Unhand me, gentlemen.
By heaven, I ’ll make a ghost of him that lets me!
Hamlet. ACT I Scene 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home